[TUHS] State of networking in the early '90s

Erik E. Fair fair-tuhs at netbsd.org
Tue Jan 6 17:02:27 AEST 2015

> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 12:55:36 +1100
> From: Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org>
>
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 10:59:26AM +0100, Jacob Goense wrote:
> > Early 80s INTELPOST ran on small 11s running RT-11/RSX-11 with Mills'
> > fuzzball bolted on top. These were hooked up to DACOM or Rapicom fax
> > machines.
>
> Reading this e-mail caused me to read up on the fuzzball, which then lead me
> to this overview of the state of networking in the early '90s:

31 years ago almost to the day, I stayed up until 01:30 PST to write a
description of all of the networks I knew of in response to a query on the
HUMAN-NETS mailing list; it appears under the subject "The Plethora of
Networks" in HUMAN-NETS digest V7 #1 which can be found:

http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~cwm/NetStuff/Human-Nets/Volume7.html

A number of others also chimed in, and the resulting discussion inspired (and
was source material for) John S. Quarterman's book "The Matrix" (1989):

http://www.amazon.com/The-Matrix-Computer-Conferencing-Worldwide/dp/1555580335

It's a bit of a budgie-killer, but a fine snapshot of what was at that time.

	Erik <fair at netbsd.org>