[TUHS] COHERENT sources released under 3-clause BSD license.

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 05:52:33 AEST 2015

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Milo Velimirović <milov at cs.uwlax.edu> wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2015, at 12:41 PM, random832 at fastmail.us wrote:
> > In the "distrib" directory there are four files exactly 1440 kb in size
> > - maybe someone could try loading those into a VM/Emulator?
>
> I had exactly that thought after I downloaded the tar ball this morning.
> Any suggestions for a VM config that would facilitate this would be
> welcome. Otherwise I’m going to stumble through virtual box and see what
> happens.

Those look an awful lot like the distribution disks for COHERENT 4.2.10.
There's a writeup of how to get that installed and running under qemu here:
http://thebeezspeaks.blogspot.in/2012/05/my-life-with-coherent-part-2.html

However, there have been some reports of stability issues with the emulated
disk under qemu; VirtualBox seems to be the most consistently reliable (and
fast!) alternative, but you have to run it under a 32-bit host OS.  I ended
up installing a 32-bit Linux under VMWare to run virtual box to run
COHERENT (yes, it's awful).  I haven't tried qemu lately to see if the
stability problems have been addressed, though.

        - Dan C.