[TUHS] Had a crack at assembling the Unix v1 kernel

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue May 5 06:44:45 AEST 2015

    > From: Mark Longridge <cubexyz at gmail.com>

    > I'm not sure where Unix v1 is loading the kernel from. .. In all the
    > other versions of Unix there was always a file like 'unix' in the root
    > directory but I guess Unix v1 was different?

I don't know much about the other versions, but it would all depend on what's
in the bootstrap (usually contained in block 0 of drive 0, at least on older
11's). In V6, the bootstrap in block 0 prompts for a file name, and when that
is entered, it loads that file into memory and starts it. (It doesn't have
to be in the root directory, IIRC - I'm pretty sure the bootstrap will accept
full path names.)

How did you create a V1 filesystem? (I don't know, BTW, what they look like -
is that documented anywhere?) It's probably not the same layout as the V6
(which I think is the same as V5).

	Noel