[TUHS] Had a crack at assembling the Unix v1 kernel

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue May 5 07:04:17 AEST 2015

On Mon, 4 May 2015, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> I don't know much about the other versions, but it would all depend on
> what's in the bootstrap (usually contained in block 0 of drive 0, at
> least on older 11's). In V6, the bootstrap in block 0 prompts for a file
> name, and when that is entered, it loads that file into memory and
> starts it. (It doesn't have to be in the root directory, IIRC - I'm
> pretty sure the bootstrap will accept full path names.)

I'm pretty sure that it didn't have the full namei() functionality, so all
files had to be in the root directory.  Of course, I've been wrong
before...

We were constantly writing boot blocks to get the mostest out of the
leastest, so I suppose it was possible.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)   "Those who don't understand security will suffer."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)