[TUHS] A repository with 44 years of Unix evolution gets the MSR '15 Best Data Showcase Award

Diomidis Spinellis dds at aueb.gr
Thu May 21 21:50:33 AEST 2015

On 21/05/2015 04:42, Derrik Walker v2.0 wrote:
> I was wondering if you were planning on adding any of the Solaris stuff
> ( I managed to get one source release of open Solaris before Oracle
> bought out sun ) or Darwin? Unfortunately, I don't seem to have the
> Darwin source anymore  ( some bits of my collection have been lost to
> time ), but I can contribute what I have of Open Solaris if you want it.

I was thinking about this.  The candidates are illumos and OpenIndiana,
which contain commits until the present time.

The first commit on illumos is from 2005.

commit 7c478bd95313f5f23a4c958a745db2134aa03244
Author: stevel at tonic-gate <none at none>
Date:   Tue Jun 14 00:00:00 2005 -0700

    OpenSolaris Launch

This leaves a long dark period between 32V and 2005.  It'd therefore
prefer to wait, until we can get System V and early versions of SunOS
available under some type of open source license.