[TUHS] A repository with 44 years of Unix evolution gets the MSR '15 Best Data Showcase Award

cowan at ccil.org cowan at ccil.org
Fri May 22 01:09:45 AEST 2015

Diomidis Spinellis scripsit:

> This leaves a long dark period between 32V and 2005.  It'd therefore
> prefer to wait, until we can get System V and early versions of SunOS
> available under some type of open source license.

It might be possible to get the vanilla-from-AT&T System V Releases 1-3
freely licensed, though Novell is presumably still making money from AIX,
which descends from SVR3.  SVR4 has proprietary Microsoft (Xenix) and
SunOS (Oracle) code in it, plus being the ancestor of still-current HP/UX.
Scrubbing proprietary third-party code to make an open-source release
of any of these ancient versions, as had to be done for Solaris (and Java),
is almost certainly too much work for anyone to want to undertake today.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then, I contradict myself.
I am large, I contain multitudes.