[TUHS] A repository with 44 years of Unix evolution gets the MSR '15 Best Data Showcase Award

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri May 22 04:04:44 AEST 2015

I never took those kinds of notes.  We certainly talked about it and we
used to have know who had what at Locus since all of the majors were our
customers and we had to be very, very careful to not cross pollinate.
Sometimes we would do specific work in different offices, just to make the
firewall easier to manage.  For instance the Ultrix and Tru64 work we did
for DEC, as well as the HP work was done in Boston.  Most of the IBM work
was done in the LA office, and Intel work was led in San Diego.

There was a time when I had the release schedules of DEC, IBM, HP and Sun
taped the wall behind my desk, because we had teams delivering things to
all 4 of them.

That said, if you talked to one of the UNIX press of the old days, like the
old "UNIXgram/X" folks, you could put together the chronology. However, I
don't know that any of that is on line anywhere to search.   But that would
be the documentation I would look if I was a lawyer trying to demonstrate
who did what in what order.   Some of those folks are still around and
writing, I saw something from Timothy Pickering Morgan just yesterday
talking about Linux and I see some of the other names pop up in the blogs
and journals at different times.