[TUHS] System III - TCP/IP

Nick Downing downing.nick at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 15:39:43 AEST 2015

I think you might get better mileage by just trying to port 2.11BSD over to
your Z8001 device, since it is a self contained system, no interface
hacking will be needed, just porting. You will have to hack in the device
drivers for your disks, ports etc, and create a bootstrap and do a little
assembly hacking for the memory management, the context switches, exec()
and system calls, BUT you have all this in your Sys3 source anyway. I think
it would be easier and  cleaner to do this than try to transplant a lot of
gory internals.

My own experience in this was I wanted TCP/IP running on a Z180 machine
(1MB RAM but 64k address space with a very basic MMU), so I started with a
primitive unix called UZI see http://www.dougbraun.com/oldstuff and hacked
in sockets from NOS see http://www.qsl.net/ah6rh/am-radio/packet/jnos.html
and honestly it took months, was incredibly tedious and bug-prone, very
detailed interfacing work and restructuring to get things like socket
timeouts to work, expose functionality via system calls and so on... I
reached a point where I was medium satisfied but then my laptop got stolen
and I had to revert to month-old backup and decided to throw it away and
start again. I also did not finish the 2.11BSD port but I got as far as
making 2.11BSD cross compile from a linux system, was going to drop in the
Z180 cross toolchain as the next step, but for whatever reason put it
aside. I am happy to pass on what I have.

Nick