[TUHS] System III - TCP/IP

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sun Nov 8 17:11:02 AEST 2015

Just getting back to email (spent the day taking pictures at a hockey
tournament).

Others have replied, no STREAMS System III (that's what Sys 5 did,
Dennis did "streams", they are not the same, Dennis' stuff was sane,
STREAMS was not, he and I talked a bit about that - which was classic
Dennis because I was nobody, fresh out of grad school porting a STREAMS
based TCP/IP stack and I felt it was weird so I reached out to dmr and
he of course replied in depth.)

I tend to agree with whoever said 2.11BSD.  If you have to do 16 bit and
you want all the goodies, 2.11BSD is where you want to be.  Back porting
all that stuff to System III really makes me ask the question of "why?".
Why bother?  I get that it could be like a mountain you want to climb,
if that's the case, cool.  But I never saw System III as much of a cool
mountain.  I think there were some cool parts, didn't the PWB and DWB
come form System III?  If so, those where the things I'd want to have
ported forward.  Other than that, what's the System III attraction?

If you actually have a need to have this work and have networking then
once again Clem has the right idea, grab one of those boards.  (And once
again I want to meet Clem in person, lot of love for the Masscomp work
and all his stories).

--lm

---