[TUHS] System III - TCP/IP

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sun Nov 8 17:22:30 AEST 2015

Larry McVoy scripsit:

> he and I talked a bit about that - which was classic
> Dennis because I was nobody, fresh out of grad school porting a STREAMS
> based TCP/IP stack and I felt it was weird so I reached out to dmr and
> he of course replied in depth.)

Bohr and Feynman at Los Alamos, to put it Star Trek-ly.

> I think there were some cool parts, didn't the PWB and DWB
> come form System III?

Vice versa.  PWB began between the Sixth and Seventh Edition, but didn't
reach the Unix mainline (as it was then) until System III.  There was a
second PWB release branched from the Seventh Edition.

> Other than that, what's the System III attraction?

I tend to agree: a thoroughly vanilla release.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
I could dance with you till the cows come home.  On second thought,
I'd rather dance with the cows when you come home.
        --Rufus T. Firefly