[TUHS] System III - TCP/IP

Nick Downing downing.nick at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 10:21:18 AEST 2015

Although the Z8000 has segments, they will require special code to
access, and so you will have to regard it as a 16 bit CPU from the
viewpoint of running ordinary unix kernel/applications.

You can most likely implement a split I/D architecture by having code
execute out of a different segment than data, although I haven't
checked the datasheet so I don't know for sure if this is possible.
You can also do a few other things -- you could for example make mbufs
and bufs reside in different segments and wrap all kernel accesses to
them in macros, which would free up significant space in the main
kernel data segment. Or you could do what I did for the Z180
implementation, (the first try -- UZI / NOS derivative, not the
proposed 2.11BSD port), which I somewhat borrowed from the IAR's Z180
C compiler -- the calling convention allows for a segment switch on
function call and return, so you can have large multi-segment
executables.

In my implementation I had a 768 kbyte RAM disk which was formatted
unix style (not BSD style unfortunately), but I had an alignment
routine which put executable files into contiguous blocks on 4kbyte
boundaries (normally the filesystem had 1kbyte blocks), and I created
a mapping table, and I revised the IAR compiler's calling stubs to
allow executing multi segment executables direct from RAM disk. This
would work in your system with minor porting, but unfortunately it's
not implemented in 2.11BSD, it's in my earlier code. You're welcome to
it, though.

The kernel and some of the utilities in 2.11BSD are large enough to
require split I/D, I didn't have that, but proposed to get around it
by using multi-segmented executables (my memory map allowed for 4
kbytes of stubs and utility code/data, 56 kbytes of data and 4 kbytes
of the currently visible code segment). So you will have to either
implement split I/D or multi-segmented executables, it doesn't matter
which. Check how your sys3 system handles this, because you will
probably want to take as much of the assembly code from the sys3
system as possible.

So given you're implementing a 16 bit system, you should definitely go
for 2.11BSD, it's simply the most advanced and the only reasonable
unix system out there that executes in 64 kbytes. You can look at
4.3BSD, personally I looked at a later BSD and I discovered that the
network stack is significantly cut down in 2.11BSD, and for good
reasons. For example it does not implement syn cookies (protection
against TCP SYN DOS attacks), presumably because this required some
largeish kernel tables. You don't need the complexity, you want
2.11BSD I think.

Nick