[TUHS] System III - TCP/IP

Nick Downing downing.nick at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 10:31:43 AEST 2015

By the way, there's no reason you can't use your existing Zilog
toolchain. You can just modify the makefiles that come with 2.11BSD to
run the Zilog tools. Or another option might be to write a compiler
driver that acts like "cc" and invokes the Zilog tools as
subprocesses, you have the source for 2.11BSD "cc" so this shouldn't
be too hard to do. Whatever naming convention the Zilog compiler uses,
you could rename the object files to ".o" and the 2.11BSD build system
would work largely unchanged. The most tricky part will be creating
the a.out executables, which are in the simplest case a header of
maybe 18 bytes (depends slightly on the magic number of the executable
since there were a few different compatible versions) followed by the
code and data segments followed by relocation records. To do this, I
am pretty sure I created my own linker, or modified the unix linker
(cannot remember exactly) in order to read the object files from the
IAR Z180 assembler (and I think these were in S-record format that you
mentioned) and create the a.out executables, I also had an extended
a.out format for the large multi-segment executables (including the
kernel), in which I arranged the code into 4 kbyte segments using a
first-fit algorithm. Again I'm happy to give you whatever I have on
this.
Nick