[TUHS] System III - TCP/IP

Nick Downing downing.nick at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 08:36:04 AEST 2015

Well that looks to me like a standard split I/D setup where each process,
and the kernel, can have up to 64 kb of code and 64 kb of data. It will run
2.11bsd with a relatively straightforward porting effort -- direct
translation of each code fragment to do something equivalent on your device.

What I discussed as another option (that I did on Z180 which did not have
split I/D and hence had too small a logical address space to run 2.11bsd or
any other reasonable unix)... was to increase the code limit past 64 kb by
segmentation. Whilst this is difficult to do, it can be achieved without
(much) compiler support. Code pointers become 3 bytes instead of 2, but
luckily, code pointers are hardly used, and this limitation can be got
around by using stubs.

You are right though, in that a natively running system that can freely
utilize your 6 Mb or 8 Mb or whatever, certainly IS possible. The MS DOS C
compilers for PC/XT, PC/AT etc, supported this. The "large" memory model
had segmented code and data, any process could have multiple code and data
segments. Pointers were 4 bytes (equivalent to 3 bytes in your case, a
16-bit offset and a 7-bit segment). However, pointer arithmetic did not
carry into the segment field, so arrays and structs and the biggest
"malloc" were limited to 64 kbytes. It was somewhat slower than the "small"
memory model (2 byte pointers) and everything took more memory. The "huge"
memory model removed the 64 kbyte limitation altogether via a software
emulation of a flat address space (by doing carrying arithmetic whenever
pointers, arrays or structs were derefenced) but was of course MUCH slower.

If your compiler supports these things, go ahead and use them and port
4.3BSD across, it would be great. I thought you were talking about a
smaller system like 1 Mb, with 1 Mb you could support say 3 users and a
kernel @ 256 kbytes each using a 2.11bsd-like split I/D system and a small
memory model. They could run a reasonable toolchain consisting of a shell
spawning cc spawning a compiler or linker (for example) and an editor,
simultaneously, though it would be tight. In that case I would be concerned
about speed and size and would recommend a "small" memory model. But if you
have 6 Mb and your processor is relatively fast (say 8 MHz) and your
compiler efficient, then I guess a "large" model would be reasonable. I
like tiny unices, though :)

Nick