[TUHS] PWB contributions

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon Nov 9 11:48:12 AEST 2015

Doug McIlroy scripsit:

> PWB did not create make; Stu Feldman did it in research.

Which is why, according to Google folklore, the desktop he
was set up with on the first day did not have a TAB key.

> PWB did make SCCS. I believe it also originated cico,
> find and eval.

The Mashey shell, obviously, and -mm.  Wikipedia claims that
cpio, expr, xargs, yacc, and lex first appeared outside
the Bell Labs boundary in the PWB release, though at least
the last two were certainly not PWB-specific.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
If you understand, things are just as they are.
if you do not understand, things are just as they are.