[TUHS] A portrait of cut(1)

Norman Wilson norman at oclsc.org
Wed Nov 11 22:41:13 AEST 2015

  For that matter, what's the "old (127's) paste command" it refers to?

Every organization at AT&T had a number as well as a name.
In the early days of UNIX, the number for Computer Science
Research was 127.  At some point a 1 was prepended, making
it 1127, but old-timers still used the three-digit code.

So it's a good guess that `127's paste command' means
one that came from, or had been modified in, Research.

I don't know when or where, though.  I don't see a paste
command in V7.  paste.c in V8 has exactly the same comment
at the top.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON