[TUHS] 101 fixes for unix V6?

Milo Velimirović milov at cs.uwlax.edu
Wed Nov 25 00:12:40 AEST 2015

> On Nov 23, 2015, at 8:10 PM, Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>
>> The phototypesetter version of Unix was V7.
>
> I'm not sure of what's being said here. Manuals from
> the 4th edition on were phototypeaet, first on a
> CAT and later a Linotron (if I remember the name right).

Mergenthaler(-Linotype) Linotron 202

I used one of these beasts, a CRT based phototypesetter, in the late 1980s - 8” floppy disks, serial communication that pretended to be a paper tape reader. One of those times we really needed a Users' Group and there wasn’t one.

See also the memo, recently publicized here, ‘Experience with the Mergenthaler Linotron 202 Phototypesetter, or, How We Spent Our Summer Vacation’ https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bwk/202/summer.scanned.pdf

I wish I had had access to the schematics at the end of the memo. That would have saved days of work!

 - MIlo