[TUHS] Questions regarding early Unix contributors

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Thu Sep 24 23:27:18 AEST 2015

I've asked BWK to shed some light.

> - Lorinda Cherry is credited with diction.  But diction.c first appears
> in 4BSD and 2.10BSD.  Did Lorinda Cherry implement it at Berkeley?

She was at Bell Labs; I think the Berkeley guys had an underground
pipeline to Bell labs and some stuff got out that way. :-)
(Mary Ann? Care to shed some light?)

> BSD:
> Chris Van Wyk

Chris Van Wyk definitely was at Bell Labs at some point. He did Ideal,
a preprocessor similar to pic and also wrote an algorithms with C book.
I don't think he was ever at UCB but I don't know.

> Mark Rochkind

Here too I think stuff written at ATT got out through Berkeley. (SCCS)

> Peter Honeyman

I don't think he was ever at UCB; he was at Bell Labs for a short
time (cf HoneyDanBer UUCP and the V8 /mail file system).

> Tom Duff

I believe he was 'td'; I also don't think he was at UCB. He
pingponged a bit between Bell Labs and LucasFilm, I think. Cf the
Plan 9 'rc' shell and the infamous "Duff's Device".

> Ted Dolotta
> T. J. Kowalski

Also, methinks, a case of UCB releasing stuff written by ATT.

Feel free to take all this with a grain of salt. I was around USENET
in those days, but didn't know any of these people personally; I just
read their documents and USENET postings.

HTH,

Arnold