[TUHS] Questions regarding early Unix contributors

Diomidis Spinellis dds at aueb.gr
Fri Sep 25 18:04:05 AEST 2015

On 24/09/2015 22:04, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2015, Clem Cole wrote:
>>    I believe he gave a copy of the sources very early to wnj -- which is how
>> it ended up in 4.1BSD.  I don't think it was in the original 3.0 or 4.0
>> packages as it was not in V5, V6 or V7 either.  I believe it was released in
>> PWB 2.0 - not sure and Minnie does not seem to have them.
>
> Yes, [fsck] is in 4.0BSD (the copy I have has it documented in the setup.t
> from Nov. 15, 1980, fsck.mm from Oct. 15, 1980). It appears to be the
> same code as in 4.1 also.
>
> (But I cannot find 4.0 in Diomidis's git repo. I also don't have the
> original SCCS data from the early fsck, probably because it got moved
> and extended in different location.)

This is the link to the 4.0BSD fsck version in the history repo:

https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo/blob/BSD-4/usr/src/cmd/fsck.c

To navigate to the 4.0BSD release in the repo, the process is not the
most intuitive.  Click on the top-right button labeled "Branch: master",
click on the "Tags" tab, and select BSD-4.  This drives you to
https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo/tree/BSD-4.