[TUHS] Questions regarding early Unix contributors

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Sep 29 09:23:14 AEST 2015

On Monday, 28 September 2015 at  9:55:47 -0700, scj at yaccman.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Sep 2015, Armando Stettner wrote:
>>
>>> I also seem to recall him finish up the paper.  I was lucky in my
>>> office
>>> mates: I had John Lions and tjk.  Some place, I have a few pics of
>>> USG’s
>>> computer room.  I only recall RP04s however.  :(    aps.
>>
>> Dr. John Lions?  He was one of my Comp.Sci lecturers, and a brilliant
>> bloke.
>>
>> It was a sad day when we lost him.
>>
>> I remember a USENET posting from long ago (yeah, I know), when someone
>> swore that it was Lyons.  Someone then replied along the lines of "Well,
>> I've just walked past his office door; it's Lions, as in the big cat."
>>
>> Of course, my memory could be a little flakey by now.

Possibly, but not in this case.

> Lions' books on Unix and PCC were brilliant, although they had
> limited circulation.

I haven't seen the PCC book, though I'd like to, but Warren published
a version of the Commentary on alt.folklore.computers in May 1994, and
I've had it up on my web site for over 10 years:
http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/Lions/

You'll note Dave Horsfall's name in the acknowledgements, along with a
number of other (now) well-known names.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.