[TUHS] History repeating itself (was: Unix v6 problem with /tmp)

scj at yaccman.com scj at yaccman.com
Tue Aug 2 03:11:26 AEST 2016

> My 'incident' was around 1985 if I remember correctly. A time people
> and border guards started to realise the possible value of what was on
> such funny things like diskettes. Also I crossed 'National' borders.
> Now that can be tricky even today :-)

A Canadian friend of mine, after working in the US for five or so years,
was returning to Canada about 1969 with five years of research in 20 or 30
boxes of punched cards in the back of his car.  He was stopped at the
border and told that he would have to pay duty on the card boxes -- I
think the total came to over $200.  He argued with them for some time, and
finally one of the agents opened one of the boxes and said "Oh!  These are
USED punch cards!  There is no duty."