[TUHS] History repeating itself (was: Unix v6 problem with /tmp)

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Aug 2 04:32:56 AEST 2016

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 1:11 PM, <scj at yaccman.com> wrote:

>  "Oh!  These are
> ​ ​
> USED punch cards!  There is no duty."

​For a long time, Canada was trying to tax software going over the border,
as well as some equipment.   When Kelly Booth was at Waterloo, he had 5
1/2" tapes with special stamps from the Canadian Gov he had to use to carry
things after having had tapes confiscated.   The funny part was you could
physically mail the tape, but if you tried to bring them personally; it was
an issue.   Kelly told me if they have been unopened and new it would not
have been an issue - but it was that it they were used that tended cause
issues.

I also remember getting a system ready for the Toronto USENIX.   It was
amazing the paper we needed, and had to prove we were not going to sell the
system there etc.

Clem

Clem

The problem was putting a value on things.   So they were marked as
research data IIRC, which