[TUHS] Comments on "C"

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Mon Aug 29 10:42:37 AEST 2016

I'm with Marc.  I think the C syntax is really pleasant, and while I enjoyed
writing PDP-11 assembler (by far my favorite out the ones I've done which
include VAX, m68k, 32032, z80, sparc, some x86 but not much), I don't want
that easily compiles to assembler.

I happen to like it so much I made a scripting language that looks very
C like, with some perl pleasantness tossed in (without all the dollar
signs).  Check it out at

http://www.little-lang.org

100% open source, actively developed, yada, yada.

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 06:37:21PM -0600, Marc Rochkind wrote:
> Yeah, OK, another one of those clever glib UNIXy aphorisms.
>
> But, as anyone who's actually programmed seriously in assembly language
> knows, C is not assembler. It is a system programming language low enough
> to be used for things that were once done in assembler, the most important
> of which is an OS.
>
> So, for most of us, we no longer had to write in assembler. But that
> doesn't mean C is assembler.
>
> So, are we just having fun over a few beers, or talking seriously? I like
> both!
>
> --Marc Rochkind
>
> On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> > Seen on another list...  And I got quoted by Steve Bellovin :-)
> >
> > --
> > Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will
> > suffer."

---