[TUHS] 14 new TUHS members

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Thu Dec 22 10:12:00 AEST 2016

Well, don't feel yourself put out by your relative youth. I discovered Unix about the time I (seriously)
discovered computers in 1990. I'd read up what little info I could get on computers while I was at High
School in Canberra  - they actually had (general theory) books on computers, but then, Canberra hosts
an observatory and a couple of high-quality universities, so it stands to reason ...

I read (in Bits and Bytes, an NZ computer mag) about Minix and Coherent, and their multitasking and
whatnot, and thought, now I've got started in computers, let's get serious.(I'd got started on Macintosh
then tried my hand at MS DOS)

Unix is to computer geeks as Bach (or Coltrane) is to music geeks. Discussion and arguments aplenty,
but nobody's denying the importance.

Welcome aboard.

Wesley Parish

Quoting Edouard KLEIN <edouardklein at gmail.com>:

> I too got there from Hacker News.
>
> I like to read stories from the Unix Lore, and discover the history of
> the
> tools that are everywhere in my computing environment at home and at
> work.
> I fear I'll have nothing to contribute, as I'm younger than System V,
> but
> I'll read the list with interest :)
>
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 at 15:41 Kay Parker <kayparker at mailite.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm researching Computer history, especially Unix. I noticed the
> > mentioned article reading a mail from this great list.
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 21, 2016, at 05:16 AM, Avinash Sonawane wrote:
> > subscription

> > > May be it's because "How Unix made it to the top"[0] made it to the
> > > front page of Hacker News[1], a forum frequented by geeks.
> > >
> > > [0] http://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2016-December/007519.html
> > > [1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13204054
> > >
> > > --
> > > Avinash Sonawane (rootKea)
> > > PICT, Pune
> > > https://rootkea.wordpress.com
> >

> > --
> > Kay Parker
> > kayparker at mailite.com
> >
> > --
> > http://www.fastmail.com - The professional email service

"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor,
Method for Guitar

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." -- Samuel Goldwyn