[TUHS] User maintained programs in the Second Edition

Diomidis Spinellis dds at aueb.gr
Fri Dec 23 19:37:25 AEST 2016

On 23/12/2016 04:28, Doug McIlroy wrote:
 >> Does anyone remember whether at the time these were installed in the
 >> system-wide /bin directory,
 >
 > Those that I remember were in /usr/bin.

So was "/usr/bin" initially only for user-contributed binaries, or was
it from its inception a place for binaries that were not essential for
system boot and could not fit in the root partition?

The second reason is the one that is popularly documented e.g.:

http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html
http://askubuntu.com/questions/130186/what-is-the-rationale-for-the-usr-directory