[TUHS] User maintained programs in the Second Edition

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Fri Dec 23 20:27:05 AEST 2016

Diomidis Spinellis <dds at aueb.gr> wrote:

> On 23/12/2016 04:28, Doug McIlroy wrote:
>  >> Does anyone remember whether at the time these were installed in the
>  >> system-wide /bin directory,
>  >
>  > Those that I remember were in /usr/bin.
>
> So was "/usr/bin" initially only for user-contributed binaries, or was
> it from its inception a place for binaries that were not essential for
> system boot and could not fit in the root partition?

>From the talk from Stephen Bourne around 1990 at the Sun User Group meeting,
/usr/bin started with user contributed binaries only.

Later the directory was aquired by the system after many of the user
contributed programs have been integrated into UNIX.

At that time people started to use /usr/local and in order to interrupt this
chain of bad naming, /opt/<vendor>/bin has been introduced.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin