[TUHS] Fwd: Missing Documents for use with the Unix Time-Sharing System, Sixth Edition

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 06:36:02 AEST 2016

On 1/23/16 2:00 PM, Clem Cole wrote:

> [...]
Thanks for the reply. The nroff source for a lot of these is indeed on
the distribution tape. So... my followup question is how can I convert
it to pdf or ps?

In v6:
# cd /usr/doc/iolib
# nroff iolib
The Portable C Library (on UNIX) * M. E. Lesk 1. INTRODUCTION The
C langlage [1] now exists on three operating systems.  * This do-
clment is an abbreviated form of ``The Portable C  Library'',  by
M.  E.  Lesk, describing only the UNIX section of the library.  A
pected  to make any sense of it on retlrn.  The first arglment is

Mangled. But when I took the source and copied it onto my mac and did this:
groff -t iolib
ps2pdf iolib.ps
open iolib.pdf

The result was ok and is attached, but the format is ugly. Here is the
first bit of source. Is it roff/nroff? and is my approach to conversion
reasonable?

.ds s \\s8
.ds S \\s0
.ds * \v'.2m'*\v'-.2m'
.tr ~.
.ds . \s14~\s0
.tr _\(ul
.de sn
.sp
.ft I
.ne 2
..
.de sN
.sp .5
.ft R
..
.TL
The Portable C Library (on \s-2UNIX\s0) *
.AU
M. E. Lesk
.AI
.MH
.SH
1. INTRODUCTION
.PP
The C language [1] now exists on three operating systems.
.FS
* This document is an abbreviated form of
``The Portable C Library'', by M. E. Lesk, describing only
the UNIX section of the library.
.FE
A set of library routines common to

Thanks,