[TUHS] Fwd: Missing Documents for use with the Unix Time-Sharing System, Sixth Edition

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sun Jan 24 06:00:48 AEST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com>
Date: Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 3:00 PM
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Missing Documents for use with the Unix Time-Sharing
System, Sixth Edition
To: Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com>

below....

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> The Unix Sixth edition programmer's manual and other documents for use
> with Unix time-sharing system are available online, in html and postscript
> form from Wolfgang Helbig's site:
>
> http://wwwlehre.dhbw-stuttgart.de/~helbig/os/v6/doc/index.html
>
> There are papers some missing from the "Documents for use with the Unix
> Time-Sharing System":

​Hmm - these should be with the v6 distribution   - some of them are coming
with later editions... and except for updates to said system will be go'nuf

That said you are asking about the versions from v6.   I do not seem to
have hardcopies easy to find.   I'll keep looking there is some stuff in my
attic.
​

> RATFOR - A Preprocessor for Rational Fortran
> NROFF User's Manual
> A Manual for Tmg Compiler-writing Language

​This is the doc that you might not find in other places, as I think tmg
stopped being distributed at some point.   Doug as one of the authors I
believe may know the story.   ​

> On the Security of UNIX
> The M6 Macro Processor

​I think you mean m4 not m6​

> A System for Typesetting Mathematics
> DC - An Interactive Desk Calculator
> BC - An Arbitrary Precision Desk-Calculator Language
> The Portable C Library (on UNIX)
> UNIX Summary
>
> Some of these are more interesting to me than others, but I tend towards
> shiny objects, so there is no telling when they will be of critical
> interest in the future. I have done quite a bit of searching for the NROFF
> document and the portable C library document and while I have found related
> works, I haven't come across the originals for sixth edition. Do any of
> y'all know where any or all of these documents are archived in their
> original/reproduced form?

Warren's V6 seems have many of them in:
http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/research/Dennis_v6/v6doc.tar.gz