[TUHS] PDP-11 questions

Clem cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Jan 25 10:36:01 AEST 2016

Actually the important observation Christiansen makes in the book that is often missed is that the new technology when compared to the old technology is not as good by the definitions made by the market for the original.  (As the original question was raised. How did these crappy 8 bit micros best the PDP11).

But what happens is that a new set of customers that don't care that's it a lessor item  -  find the new scheme is good enough for them and actually solves the problem they have well.   And is more economical for them.

So If the new technology has a faster growth curve it will catch up and "disrupt" the incumbent at some point - usually while the incumbent is not realizing it - because as Steve points out, they are focusing on making what the current customers desire - which are overkill (and not economical) for the new market/customer base.

Ie. What DEC did to IBM.  What the workstation guys did to DEC.  What the PC did to the workstation guys (an open question is the mobile doing that to the PC now- time will tell) .

Steve you are right and. I Agree that  it is a quick and fun read and all technologist /systems folk should read it and I believe you will say "Ah ha," laugh, and learn something too.

Clem

Sent from my iPhone