[TUHS] PDP-11 questions

scj at yaccman.com scj at yaccman.com
Mon Jan 25 10:11:19 AEST 2016

>     >> It seems though that there should have been a PDP-11 based desktop
>
>     > Because DEC were a bunch of losers.
>

> Why not? I put it down to corporate cultural intertia - ironically, the
> same
> thing that allowed DEC to eat so much of IBM's lunch.

Also see the book "The Innovator's Dilemma".  I takes a very insightful
look at why the leader of one generation of technology is rarely the
leader of the next.  In part, it's because customers, for the most part,
want more of the same and cheaper -- the interesting new niches get
overlooked by the current big guys.

Besides, the book is worth reading for a hilarious picture of how the
steam shovel makers tried to make a backhoe to compete with the hydraulic
technology that was eating their lunch...

Steve