[TUHS] Algol68 vs. C at Bell Labs

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Fri Jul 1 01:52:46 AEST 2016

Marc Rochkind <rochkind at basepath.com> wrote:

> Bill Cheswick: "What a different world it would be if IBM had selected the
> M68000 and UCSD Pascal.  Both seemed
> to me to better better choices at the time."
>
> Not for those of us trying to write serious software. The IBM PC came out
> in August, 1981, and I left Bell Labs to write software for it full time
> about 5 months later. At the time, it seemed to me to represent the future,
> and that turned out to be a correct guess.

I worked on a "Microengine" in 1979.

The Microengine was a micro PDP-11 with a modified micro code ROM that directly
supported to execute p-code.

The machine was running a UCSD pascal based OS and was really fast and powerful.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin