[TUHS] Algol68 vs. C at Bell Labs

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Fri Jul 1 03:17:30 AEST 2016

Ori Idan <ori at helicontech.co.il> asks today:

>> Pascal compiler written in Pascal? how can I compile the compiler it I
>> don't yet have a pascal compiler? :-)

You compile the code by hand into assembly language for the CDC
6400/6600 machines, and bootstrap that way: see

	Urs Ammann
	On Code Generation in a PASCAL Compiler
	http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/spe.4380070311

	Niklaus Wirth
	The Design of a PASCAL Compiler
	http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/spe.4380010403

It has been a long time since I read those articles in the journal
Software --- Practice and Experience, but my recollection is that they
wrote the compiler in a minimal subset of Pascal needed to do the job,
just to ease the hand-translation process.