[TUHS] Algol68 vs. C at Bell Labs

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Jul 1 05:23:08 AEST 2016

Noel Chiappa scripsit:

> One of many, apparently, given Hoare's incredible classic "The Emperor's
> Old Clothes":

I agree with 90% of what he says, but not about Algol 68.  He obviously
has a strong preference for small languages: it would be interesting
to see his uncensored opinions of C++, the Godzilla of our day as Ada
and PL/I and Algol 68 were the Godzillas of theirs.  But from where we
stand now, A68 looks like a minizilla indeed, and has many interesting
ideas (notably structural equivalence).  It would need a few upgrades
to provide for subtyping and functional programming.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
In might the Feanorians / that swore the unforgotten oath
brought war into Arvernien / with burning and with broken troth.
and Elwing from her fastness dim / then cast her in the waters wide,
but like a mew was swiftly borne, / uplifted o'er the roaring tide.
        --the Earendillinwe