[TUHS] Algol68 vs. C at Bell Labs

Brantley Coile brantleycoile at me.com
Fri Jul 1 19:32:53 AEST 2016

Wirth attempted to write a simple language to write the real Pascal compiler. One fatal flaw was that the simpler language lacked recursion, which was optional in those days, and the use of the Pascal-0 was abandoned. The next attempt was to write the compiler in Pascal and ``desk’’ compile it into machine code. That was amazingly successful, if tedious.

Later, to make porting easier, the good professor wrote a version that generated a stack based intermediate code called P-code. You could get a copy of the compiler in Pascal and P-code, write your own P-code interpreter and have a Pascal compiler. It was easy. Pascal compilers spread like locus after that. One could then change the compiler to write machine code for the actual machine, although many just extended their P-code emulators. It was “compile once, run anywhere” long before Java’s virtual machine.

BCPL came the same way, with a version of the compiler in CINIT code to move the compiler.

The PCC required a donor machine already running Unix in somewhat close proximity to the target machine.

  Brantley Coile