[TUHS] Pursuing Bell Labs stuff

Diomidis Spinellis dds at aueb.gr
Tue Jul 5 15:32:51 AEST 2016

The following book provides an interesting perspective on many of the
questions you ask.

Narain Gehani. Bell Labs: Life in the Crown Jewel. Silicon Press,
Summit, NJ, 2003.

Many of the Bell Labs technical reports related to Unix were also
published in volume 2 of the Unix Programmer's Manual. Some also
appeared in the Bell System Technical Journal.  Back issues of the
latter used to be freely available online, but they now live behind the
IEEE Xplore Digital Library pay-wall.  Two  issues of BSTJ devoted to
Unix (volume 57 number 6 July-August 1978 and volume 63, number 8,
October 1984) were also published in book form (titled "Unix System
Readings and Applications") by Prentice-Hall in 1987.