[TUHS] Early non-Unix filesystems?

Charles Anthony charles.unix.pro at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 07:34:25 AEST 2016

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Ronald Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> I had for 25 years on my desk the program drum (complete with a card
> wrapped around it) that I snagged as a souvenir from the last keypunch
> machine at Rutgers.   It was extremely rare that anybody ever understood
> what it was.   Sometimes, I even had to explain what a punched card was.
>

> An aerospace company gets a big military contract to produce a new fighter
aircraft. During the design process it was realized that aircraft weight
issues were going to be a major ongoing issue, so they appointed a manager
to track weight across all of the engineering groups so that problems could
be detected and corrected early. The newly appointed manager checks in with
all of the group managers and collects current estimates and trend data.
Eventually, he gets to the Avionics Software group and asks for their
weight data.

"Um. Zero."

"What? Aren't you putting software onto the fighter?"

"Yes"

"Well, how much will it weigh?"

"Zero."

Exasperated, the Weight Manager points to a deck of punch cards on the desk.

"There... That's software, right?"

"Yes..."

"How much do the cards weigh?"

"Ahh. You don't understand. We only use the holes."

-- Charles