[TUHS] Claim your early Unix contributions on GitHub

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Thu Mar 31 13:34:08 AEST 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016, at 23:20, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 05:07:29PM -0400, Random832 wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 30, 2016, at 15:17, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > > You are the first person outside of BitMover that I've ever seen
> > > recognize that.  Go you!  It's very annoying, we can write a perfect BK
> > > to Git exporter but going the other way is a research project.
> >
> > Didn't you sue someone for writing a BK to Git exporter?
>
> Nope.  In 18 years of business we've never sued anyone.

Sorry, I guess I got the timeline and the specifics mixed up (the stuff
about a non-compete agreement - I've never heard of any other company
having such a thing for their _customers_ - made me assume that there
was an attempt to actually enforce that), but it certainly seemed like
you were not very big fans of the idea of a perfect BK-to-_anything_
exporter, since then you'd lose control of the users whose metadata you
had locked up in your servers.