[TUHS] Unix clones

William Pechter pechter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 11:30:33 AEST 2017

Wesley Parish wrote:
> The mention of UNOS a realtime "clone" of Unix in a recent thread raises a question for me. How many
> Unix clones are there?
>
> (My interest in Unix was the result of a local computer magazine, Bits'n'Bytes in the late 80s and early 90s
> discussing two clones, Minix and Coherent in its Unix column. Then came Linux ...)
>
> We've got a timeline (in several forms, in the 4.3BSD and 4.4BSD books and The Magic Garden, on Groklaw,
> and elsewhere) for Unix and its developments; has anyone done one for the clones?
>
> Thanks
>
> Wesley Parish
>
> "I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor,
> Method for Guitar
>
> "A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." -- Samuel Goldwyn
Idris from Whitesmiths once passed through my hands... I actually
skipped that one for UniPlus SysIII and SysV  on the
Perkin-Elmer 7350 box with a dip packaged  68000...

I ran Coherent until I got  the hardware to go 386-BSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD,
and Linux 0.99.xx (SLS and later Slackware).

Before the UniPlus I ran Xenix-86 on an AT&T 6300 with a Nec V30 (not a
6300+ 286 box).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-like

Bill