[TUHS] Unix clones

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Thu Apr 6 19:40:56 AEST 2017

Thanks. I'm thinking we could classify the Unix clones under three categories:
the commercial, such as UniFlex, Idris, UNOS
the academic, such as Minix and Tunix
and the hobbyist such as Linux at its beginning

Then it strikes me that that could probably apply to Unix at various stages in
its history:
v1, v2, v3 hobbyist v4?
v5, v6, *BSD academic
SysIII, SysV commercial

FWVLIW

Wesley Parish

Quoting William Pechter <pechter at gmail.com>:

> Wesley Parish wrote:
> > The mention of UNOS a realtime "clone" of Unix in a recent thread
> raises a question for me. How many
> > Unix clones are there?
<snip>
> > Thanks
> >
> > Wesley Parish
<snip>
> Idris from Whitesmiths once passed through my hands... I actually
> skipped that one for UniPlus SysIII and SysV on the
> Perkin-Elmer 7350 box with a dip packaged 68000...
>
> I ran Coherent until I got the hardware to go 386-BSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD,
> and Linux 0.99.xx (SLS and later Slackware).
>
> Before the UniPlus I ran Xenix-86 on an AT&T 6300 with a Nec V30 (not a
> 6300+ 286 box).
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-like
>
> Bill

"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor,
Method for Guitar

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." -- Samuel Goldwyn