[TUHS] Unix clones

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Fri Apr 7 11:12:21 AEST 2017

's/DNS/DNA/' - Not a problem. Thanks!

I'd come across Thoth mentioned in an OS book at the U of Canterbury (NZ) Science Library; they also
had a copy of the Tunis book. But I never took the time to read them.

Getting them put into a time frame is useful - it gives an external perspective to Salus' book, eg, this is
what some non-Unix folk thought of Unix at the time.

Wesley Parish

Quoting Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com>:

> s/DNS/DNA/ - dyslexia sucks....
>
> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>
> > ​try-II sorry about that...​
> >

> > On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 9:18 PM, Wesley Parish
> <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> The mention of UNOS a realtime "clone" of Unix in a recent thread
> raises
> >> a question for me. How many
> >> Unix clones are there?
> >>

> > ​An interesting question.... I'll take a shot at this in a second,
> note
> > there is a Wikipedia page:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Unix_
> > variants that I don't fully agree with.
> >
> > The problem with all of this question is really depends where you
> place
> > which boundary on the following continuum:
> >
> > non-unix add-unix ideas trying to be
> > unix might as well be unix research unix
> > stream
> >
> > eg VMS eg Domain eg UNOS
> > eg Sys V, BSD/386 & Linux Vx & BSD VAX
> >

> > Different people value different things. So here is my take from the
> > "cloned" systems I used/was basically aware....
> >
> > Idris was a V6 clone for the PDP-11, which I saw 1978ish. I can say I
> > was able to recompile code from v6 and it "just worked" so from a
> user's
> > standpoint it might as well has been. But the compilers and
> assemblers
> > were different and I never tried anything "hard"
> >
> > The first attempt to "clone" v7 that I knew about was in France, and
> > written in Pascal - I think at Ecole Tech in Paris? The name of the
> > project escapes me, but they presented the work in the 1979/80 winter
> > USENIX (Blackhole) conference in Denver. There were no proceedings in
> > those days. I believe it also ran on the PDP-11, but I never ran it
> so; so
> > I have no idea how easy it was to move things from Seventh Edition.
> But I
> > also don't think they were working binary compatibility, so I think
> it
> > landed more toward the center.
> >
> > The Cruds folks (Goldberg) wrote UNOS shortly there after (early 80s)
> > It was definitely not UNIX although it tried to have be mostly. We
> had
> > CRDS box at Masscomp and before I arrived they plan had been to use it
> get
> > code working before the RTU was running. But the truth was it failed
> > because it was not UNIX. The 68000 vs Vax issues were far, far less of
> an
> > issue than UNOS != UNIX. To Goldberg's credit, he did have a couple
> of
> > cool things in it. I believe only system commercial systems that used
> > Kanodia & Reed's Sequences and Eventcounts, were UNOS, Apollo Doman,
> and
> > Stellar's Stellix (I'm not sure about DG - they might have also at
> one
> [...]

"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor,
Method for Guitar

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." -- Samuel Goldwyn