[TUHS] Unix clones

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Sat Apr 8 07:58:22 AEST 2017

Thoth was under development at Waterloo when I was there, and I really
enjoyed talking with those folks.  They viewed the parts of the
system as inhabitants of a community and gave them clever names --
this led to some interesting discussions about the distribution of
functions in the kernel.   For example, I remember that the guy who
killed processes was called "Big Al", and when the process was dead
the "Undertaker" was called, etc.

There were also some B-inspired languages that got worked on:  eh?
was a simpler version of B, and its follow-on was called zed.  Don't
know that they ever got out of the university, though...

Steve