[TUHS] Non-US Unix Activities

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Mon Apr 10 08:45:49 AEST 2017

My memory is clearly that B did not use line numbers.   However, it
did report line numbers for errors.  The 'ed' command had an 'n'
command that would number the lines of the file -- I think this was a
result of an early customer for Unix being the patent department -- at
the time, patents had to have exactly 50 lines on each page with no
blanks and the lines had to be numbered...   When writing about a
program, it was handy to include line numbers so the document could
refer more easily to lines in the program, but they weren't fed to the
compiler.

Steve

(Funny how this conversation makes me feel like one of a few surviving
members of a tribe speaking a soon to be dead language...)