[TUHS] Non-US Unix Activities

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Mon Apr 10 23:06:25 AEST 2017

On 9 Apr 2017, at 17:57, Toby Thain <toby at telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

> Looks like something added in printing and not in the source. Mercifully, B doesn't use line numbers.

I think people perhaps forget how important line numbers were in hardcopy: in a world where you did a lot of work on a program by printing it out, then taking the printout to your desk, reading it and writing notes and new code on it (which was how almost everyone worked since terminals were a scarce resource), the line numbers on the printout where how you communicated the changes you wanted to make to yourself later on: if you'd changed line 53 on the printout you told the editor to go to line 53 and changed it.  If you didn't have line numbers on the printout then it was almost useless.