[TUHS] 4.3 Wisc file transfer

Jason Stevens jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com
Mon Apr 10 11:46:54 AEST 2017

You have to remember this is old stuff, so you will have to fight protocol drift.

Simh has issues using pcap and talking to the host is, it's more so a pcap limitation.  I think the newer version has tun/tap support which may be easier to deal with, although more involved.

My favorite way was using a web server to serve files out.  As for getting stuff in, a simple CGI or like thing for uploading.

Back in 4.3 land, ftp is going to be active mode, there was no nat, no passive mode, so you'll need to configure accordingly.

How do you have your lan setup?  What host OS? Are you trying to access fSit from the same machine?

In the past I've had to use uuencode/uudecode on a connection to transfer the bare minimum of a pre-compiled GCC to sparc solaris, so I know this pain.

Also don't forget if you have tty access you can build sz/rz and use Z-modem.

NFS should be present in UWisc, it has many Sun stuff built in.  But keep in mind it's very old, and could easily suffer from odd things like block size issues, akin to stuff like ancient Sun-100U / Sun-2 had.