[TUHS] Zilog Z80 Unix

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Apr 20 23:05:44 AEST 2017

Leor Zolman had a little firm her in NE called Brain Damaged Software (BDS)
and he wrote and marketed a full C compiler called BDS C -
http://www.bdsoft.com/resources/bdsc.html [ which is now freely available -
including the sources].   For years Leor's compiler was the de facto
standard K&R style C compiler for the 8080/z80 systems for CP/M and such
systems.  [What was important, is that until Leor, the CP/M community was
using something called "Small C" which was a sub-set of the language.  Leor
managed to get V7/K&R into a 8080].

A couple of other folks (which I thought included Leor) had a UNIX-like
system running on/with it that we showed to Dennis at first Boston USENIX
in late the 1970s/early 1980s - that IIRC could take CP/M programs -
[although they may have to been relinked].   My memory is that the system
got sold/licensed to a firm on the west coast and marketed independently of
BDS C, [you might ask Leor or maybe some like Phil Karn - i.e. any one that
was doing both UNIX and CP/M in those days].

If forgotten the details, I do remember Dennis saying that it reminded him
very much of early UNIX and was very impressed with job that had been
done.  The basic tools were there: sh, ed, grep, ls and it was quite usable
modulo floppy disk speeds.

Clem