[TUHS] Zilog Z80 Unix

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Apr 23 07:07:13 AEST 2017

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017, Clem Cole wrote:

> Leor Zolman had a little firm her in NE called Brain Damaged Software
> (BDS) and he wrote and marketed a full C compiler called BDS C -
> http://www.bdsoft.com/resources/bdsc.html [ which is now freely
> available - including the sources].   For years Leor's compiler was the
> de facto standard K&R style C compiler for the 8080/z80 systems for CP/M
> and such systems.  [What was important, is that until Leor, the CP/M
> community was using something called "Small C" which was a sub-set of
> the language.  Leor managed to get V7/K&R into a 8080].

We must be talking about a different BDS C.

I remember BDS C for all the wrong reasons; I can only repeat a remark
from Henry Spencer about another alleged C compiler: "To be called a C
compiler, it ought to at least be able to compile C."  My Z-80 C compiler
was Hi-Tech C, which was full ANSI.

My favourite test of any language is "can it process itself?".