[TUHS] origin of string.h and ctype.h

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Aug 13 15:43:22 AEST 2017

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017, Steve Johnson wrote:

> A little Googling shows that the IF I mentioned was called the
> "arithmetic IF".

Ah yes.  It was in FORTRAN II, as I recall.

> There was also a Computed GOTO that branched to one of N labels
> depending on the value of the expression.

I think that was still in FORTRAN IV?

> And an Assigned GOTO whose main use, as I remember, was to allow for
> error recovery when a subroutine failed...

A real ugly statement; you assigned a statement number to a variable, then
did a sort of indirect GOTO (or did the compiler recognise "GOTO I")?

How those poor devils ever debugged their code with such monstrous
constructions I'll never know.