[TUHS] shell PS1/PS2 which survive cut-paste

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Wed Dec 6 15:53:15 AEST 2017

George Michaelson <ggm at algebras.org> wrote:

> The choice of "# " and "> " interests me. Because roots prompt of
> "hash" has a side effect of making a cut-paste over it a comment in
> most shells.

"#" as the root prompt predates # as the comment in the Bourne shell,
not to mention predating copy/paste entirely. (My understanding is that
the do-nothing command, ":" was used for comments. Talk about minimalist!)

Same point for ">", since copy/paste didn't exist in the late 70s when
Bourne was doing the shell, it wasn't an issue.

Arnold