[TUHS] What UNIX Artifacts Are Still Missing?

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Thu Dec 7 05:27:57 AEST 2017

> On 6 Dec 2017, at 18:13, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Paul Ruizendaal <pnr at planet.nl> wrote:
> ​A​lthough Xenix predates Venix, I'm not sure it predates it on PC hardware.

> ​It really depends how you count.   I was there at time when AT&T was negotiating the replacement for the V7 license with 10 of us (the 10 firms included Microsoft - the only time I can say I was in the room with Willy G. - but that's another story)​.  This work would become the System III license.
>
> ​Xenix, which was V7 based originally, was target for the generic 8086 systems (as well as PDP-11, 68K and Z8000) but the Intel support was generic so it included the PC.
[...]

Yes, you are correct: In november 1981 Xenix ran on the Altos 8600. Once you run on one 8086 machine, the next is minor step.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altos_Computer_Systems#ACS_8600

Your insights about licensing match with the chart on the ‘seefigure1’ website, and help explain some things about it.

Paul