[TUHS] What UNIX Artifacts Are Still Missing?

Jason Stevens jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com
Thu Dec 7 16:14:30 AEST 2017

I know in ’87 Microsoft was working on ‘Football’ (http://www.os2museum.com/wp/playing-football/) which was what would eventually ship as OS/2 2.0, and Windows/386 launched in 1987, for the Compaq deskpro 386, and a NEC 386 model.  I see that VP/IX was announced in 1986, with a ship date for 87 as well (https://books.google.com.hk/books?id=C5n2J7iQenwC&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq=VP/IX+emulation+1987&source=bl&ots=4XABChXAMZ&sig=65eY7UV3UVjiji5mK8ZWrxFAc6k&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZkqO6nffXAhULlJQKHXJlADkQ6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=VP%2FIX%20emulation%201987&f=false)

Not to mention products like VM/386 on the PC front.  The hypervisor market was pretty hot, but I guess the price of RAM basically cooled things off pretty quickly.

I had recently bought a copy of Citrix MULTIUSER 2.0 and it’s kind of weird trying to bring terminal functionality to OS/2.

Its funny how NT had a POSIX subsystem that really wasn’t much good for anything other than tar & vi, and decided that if the implementation was too strong nobody would write Win32 apps (much like what happened to OS/2).  Meanwhile a massive ecosystem built around Linux grew that they were unable to get people to use natively.