[TUHS] The French SOL Project

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Dec 13 00:18:15 AEST 2017

In the early 1980s, a bunch of French researchers set out to build a clone
of UNIX/V7 in Pascal (using a ukernel IIRC).   The project was the SOL
project [Gien, 1983].   I believe it eventually begat the Chorus system
(which was C++); which UI was going to use for System V/R5 before it all
blew up.

1)   Does anyone know what happen to SOL?  Was it finished, deployed, used
for anything?

2.) Did the sources and doc survive (and who owns the IP)?   I think those
should be in the TUHS archives, as I think this was the first attempt at a
rewrite of UNIX in something other than C (or assembler).

3.) On a similar thought, did the Chorus code survive and who owns the IP?

Clem

 [Gien, 1983]*“The SOL Operating System*”, Michel Gien, USENIX Association,
1983, Proceedings of the Summer ’83 USENIX Conference, Toronto, On, Canada,
July, 1983, Pages 75-78